Content marketing isn’t just for companies. Reaching college students through the utilization of great content goes beyond that of black and white text and into social media, viewable content, imagery, and much more. Digital marketing has entered the college market space not only because students are learning new technologies and embracing digital strategies throughout their educational careers, but also because they are seeking innovative and up-to-date colleges and universities keyed into today’s methods of communicating and networking.
Social Networking: Not Just Text Posting
While sites like Twitter are primarily for the 140-character text post, the other social network giants are far more image- and video-friendly. Therefore, colleges and universities should be tapping into unique ways to attract college students through the utilization of catchy infographics, focused webinars, and provoking YouTube videos. This type of content marketing promotes sharing, commenting, and engagement through frequent visits.
What do you want potential students to see? Videos of student life, on-campus events, professor and student interviews, even random silliness can all play a major role in attracting the best and the brightest to your campus.
Website Design: Utilize an All-Inclusive Blog
The definition of an all-inclusive blog with regard to content marketing geared toward college students’ means including the following vital elements:
- Contextual resources posted simultaneously with links, videos, and imagery specifically geared toward the engagement of college students or graduates
- Infographics posted in conjunction with reference materials specifically outlining what each aspect of the infographic means, as well as where each fact is sourced
- YouTube videos or Webinars by school officials or trusted student leaders focused on an aspect of the school or student lifestyle that would benefit to college students or graduates
- Mobile-friendly design that seamlessly flows from one device to another including tablets, laptops, and smartphones
Know Your Reach: Where Are Students Looking?
When schools understand their reach, they will be able to market to college students most effectively. For example, are college students spending most of their time on social networks or are they searching through forums? This is where performing some research is essential.
According to a study performed by Student Monitor LLC in Ridgewood, NJ, “of the 96 percent of four-year students who already own computers, 91 percent own laptops.” Even though tablets and smartphones are growing in popularity, laptops are still considered the “go-to” purchase when students return to school. This information is essential for education marketers.
Stay Organized: What Are You Doing Next?
Content marketing is essential for digital marketers working toward reaching college students effectively, but it isn’t successful without an organized plan. Some things to check off your list:
- Topics: what is going to be covered on your blog? This is the content that is going to be delivered, what format, and the resources necessary for delivery.
- Editorial Calendar: This is where every piece of content is scheduled on the calendar. These files are useful in the future, too, for “series,” as well as the prevention of repetitive posting.
- Keyword Research: How well are your posts performing? Are you reaching your target audience? If not, keyword research should be performed to help improve your ranking, and improve your reach.
When developing content to reach college students or graduates, ensuring it’s high quality needs to be top priority because engagement is the goal. College students are keyed into the high-tech world and it’s up to the you to stay up to date with these trends to reach them effectively.
Let CareerCo help you leverage the latest on-demand technology to reach potential students: Find out more now.